Garden Gallery Logo


Western House History



Western House History

St. Charles was founded in 1769 by Louis Blanchette, then known as Les Petites Cotes (The Little Hills). In 1804, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark launched their famous journey from the settlement of St. Charles. In 1820, the Western House hostelry was built with an adjacent stable and wagon yard. The establishment was popular, though known as a rough place. In 1835, during the days of the covered wagon treks, it was a last chance place to care for oxen and wagons heading west. In the early 70's, the Historic District of St. Charles was in the first stages of restoration. We restored the Western House and built the gardenhouse. The gardenhouse was initially built as a working greenhouse for the sale of plants in the 'back to nature' mode of the time. The gardens on the property remain a priority and are the inspiration for the botanical theme of Garden Gallery.

For more Historic District history, please visit PreservationJournal.org


Gallery Hours:
Saturdays & Sundays:
1pm-5pm

Or by Appointment


Gallery | Studio
1001 South Main St.
Saint Charles, MO 63301
holly@gardengallery.art
636-923-8007


Tap here:
Join email list

to receive notice of
new work.



Facebook - Garden GalleryInstagram - Garden GalleryPinterest - Garden Gallery